[OLUG] [Fwd: Red Hat distributes CA tools]

John Kennedy jkennedy at orent.com
Thu Jan 27 16:53:23 UTC 2000

Feeding off of people's paranoia can be very profitable...

Adam Lassek wrote:

> hey, those *IT tools were NT programs. And what's up with InoculateIT? There
> aren't any Linux viruses in circulation. I wasn't too crazy about it on NT,
> either.
>
> I wrote:
>
> > Red Hat Inc. and Computer Associates on Wednesday said they
> > have struck a distribution deal to provide more out-of-the-
> > box systems-management tools for Red Hat Linux users.
> >
> > Beginning in April, Red Hat will ship the first in a series
> > of Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition products, which will
> > include the open-source Linux operating system, technical
> > support, and optimized versions of CA's ArcServeIT backup
> > module, InoculateIT antivirus software, MasterIT Web-site
> > management tool, and NetworkIT network-management module. In
> > addition, CA will sell Red Hat Linux through its direct
> > sales force and resellers.
> >
> > CA president and chief operating officer Sanjay Kumar said
> > Linux could account for 15% of CA's open-systems business by
> > the end of next fiscal year, which closes in March 2001. In
> > a conference call with analysts, Kumar said customers are
> > becoming more "confident and comfortable" with Linux, and he
> > predicted Linux adoption would largely represent new
> > business, rather than cutting into sales on the Windows and
> > Unix platforms.
> >
> > CA officials also cited a survey of 5,000 customers
> > conducted last summer in which 48% of users not running
> > Linux planned to deploy it within the next year. CA already
> > offers its Unicenter TNG systems-management platform on
> > Linux; it also supports the four modules included in the Red
> > Hat deal, though CA had not previously optimized the modules
> > for Red Hat's platform.
> >
> > "The big thing here is integration of support," Tim Buckley,
> > Red Hat's chief operating officer, said in an interview.
> > "When companies look at this product, they'll know exactly
> > how its going to be supported." Red Hat hasn't set pricing
> > for the Enterprise Edition, but said users would pay a
> > premium over current prices of Red Hat Linux, which range
> > from $30 to $150

Your anti-Microsoft signatures for Thursday are...

"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

Name one nice thing about Windows?...
It doesn't just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK'
first.