[OLUG] Old libraries question

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Tue Jan 25 02:23:19 UTC 2000

> Could someone please help me out with a library question I have.  I have
> been migrating our RH5.x servers  and Slackware (2.0.30kernel) to RH6.1.
> Everything has been going great, my only problem is that one of our
> "programmers" insists that I copy the libc.so.4 library to every machine and
> enable the binfmt_aout.o module.  I have tried to get him to just recompile
> his programs so that they are not dependant on the older library, but for
> some reason he refuses.  I have been able to find a few of the source codes
> and was successful in recompiling.  He still refuses to help out.  I need
> some help as I go to upper-management to convince them that he needs to get
> his act-together.  Can anyone give me reasons to either keep the older
> library and the aout module or to recompile and get everything up to the
> same level.  I need some compelling reasons for the management to side with
> me.

A reason not to take a.out away: can't think of one
Reasons to take a.out away:
 * can't guarantee that it'll be available in later kernels (prolly full
   of holes)
 * Saves memory by not having it there (same reasoning as for libc5)
 * No one maintains it - it's very likely got bugs (like not being Y2K
   compliant) that have been fixed in the newer libc (prolly the biggest
   reason)
 * Not taking advantage of features in glibc2.1
 * Probably many others that I'm not thinking of right now

The only reason to keep a.out around is that not all programs can be
compiled as ELF for some reason.

> If I am way off base I don't mind being wrong.  Please no flames -- I'm not
> a programmer.

Perfectly reasonable.

> Is this a good analogy? -- The libc.so.4 is to RH6.1 what a Windoze 3.1 DLL
> is to WinNT?  Just an analogy, our managers know the "term" windows - so
> they can relate.  I'm sure that there are a zillion holes in the idea, but
> it might get  the idea accross.

It's a pretty good analogy - libc4 (aka libc.so.4) is for the a.out binary
format.  Almost no programs use it, and even fewer distributions include
it.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein