[OLUG] connection failures

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Sat Jan 22 11:26:17 UTC 2000

Forget about socks.  It is a different way of doing firewalling (a
better way) and likely has nothing to do with your problem.  When I want
to know howto make ppp work, I read the PPP-HOWTO, that's why they call
it a howto.  Have you read the howto?

Have you read the NET3-HOWTO and gotten the right stuff in the files:
hosts, HOSTNAME, host.conf, resolv.conf?  (I've asked this once before)

Nate, if you are thinking that Linux is just a better Windows, it is
not.  It's a unix system and the myriad of modules that comprise Linux
must be tackled one by one.  Slowly but surely you will gain valuable
unix skills.  The first module to tackle is ppp and some basic network
stuff which is required to make a connection.

In order to learn unix/linux you will be constantly refering to the
installguide, the howtos, the man pages, you'll even have to learn how
to use that stupid info database.  It will not be sufficient to simply
read error messages that popup on your screen and ask others what it
means.  A typical unix question is properly phrased like this:

I have read through most of the ppp howto, scanned applicaple sections
of the net3 howto and read most of the linux install guide, but I am
still having problems with pppd.  With the debug and kdebug options set
in the pppd options file my debugging info is as follows....
	---
	---
good luck

Mike