[OLUG] NFS client-mapping question

Patrick Swartz pswartz at digitalrom.com
Mon Jan 10 18:46:42 UTC 2000

Hope someone can help.  I am setting up several NFS servers using RH6.1, the
clients will be RH5.x to RH6.x boxes.  The problem I am having is mapping
uid & gid between the servers and clients.  The exports man page has several
suggestions,
1) use map_static=/file.map where file.map translates local to remote id's.
2) use map_daemon which requires the client to have rpc.ugidd,
3) use NIS.

I wish I could get any of these to work.  With the first idea -- putting a
valid map_static in the exports file gives an "unsupported" error when
running exportfs -a.
The second idea -- using map_daemon,  I CAN'T FIND rpc.ugidd.  Can find lots
of man pages for it, but no binary.  :(
The third idea -- I'm not using NIS.

Any ideas, sollutions, comments, or anything else (except laughing in my
face) would be appreciated.  :)

Patrick