[OLUG] failures

Nathan Brown tbrown at radiks.net
Fri Jan 7 23:12:55 UTC 2000

I have eard of firewalls but don't really know anything about them ... this is a
standard install from a redhat disk (Red Hat 6)  I have no Idea what it installed
other than the fact that during installation i installed everything that did not
say server and did not allow any server installation .

-------------------------

Here are the reports from the tasks that the previous communication suggested

$ Ping 127.0.0.1
Ping 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 tt1=255 time=0.1 ms

# I let this run 15 sequences and got this in return

---127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.1/0.1/0/1 ms

so i guess i CAN ping myself

And then i tried to ping the other side (the other side being that number
emmediately after the P-t-P: )and got the same as before reported below

$ ping -c 5 206.29.242.171
PING 206.29.242.171 (206.29.242.171): 56 data bytes

--- 206.29.242.171 ping statistics ---