[OLUG] Postscript printing problem

Dave Burchell burchell at inetnebr.com
Fri Jan 7 15:29:48 UTC 2000

This problem sounds challenging.  I'd attack it by picking it apart into
smaller pieces and checking each one.

One way to easily do this would be to install the older version of Red
Hat again on a spare partition and verify that everything works there.
Once it does you could test parts of your problem installation (RH6.1)
with known good components from your good installation, e.g., print
to a file from an application under the good inst, then copy the file
to the new inst, boot it, and try to print it there ("lp -Pprintername
good_doc.ps").

Do you know with certainty that the RH6.1 upgrade caused the problem,
or could a hardware problem have cropped up at about the same time?
Eliminate this possibility by installing the older version of Red Hat
on a spare partition.  (I won't tell you to check your printer cable
connections; I'm sure you already did that.)

(I also use a DeskJet 520 with my Linux (Debian 2.1) computer, FWIW.)

Jon Keene says:

> I've been having a heck of a time getting postscript printing
> to work on a deskjet 520 in RH 6.1.  I've tried all the different
> reasonable possibilities for drivers in printtool (plain deskjet, color
> deskjet, etc.).  Using any of them, I get _some_ correct output, but
> also a lot of random ascii chars mixed in all over the page.
> I've had no problems with this printer in pre-version 6 Redhat.
>
> I've searched dejanews, but I haven't found anything that seems
> helpful.  Anyone have an idea what the problem might be?
>
> TIA,
> Jon

Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/burchell/                  burchell at acm.org