[OLUG] Program idea.

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Tue Jan 4 20:28:00 UTC 2000

>Every network device or node has a unique MAC address.  Whether is's a
>nic, modem or network printer, anything...  That's a integral part of
>any network model.  If it's using TCP/IP, and connecting to a network it
>has to have it.  Check IEEE802 (?) or the OSI model (layer 2 I
>believe).  Of course this will only help if you have some record of MAC
>addresses for each PC BEFORE it's stolen.

Now, here, I must respectfully disagree.  You're just plain wrong.  Ethernet
cards have MAC addresses, modems don't.  When you dial up with PPP to an
ISP, the terminal server on the other end does a "proxy ARP", which means
that the MAC address associated with your IP address is the MAC address of
the server you dial into, and is absolutely and totally unaccessable to a
program on the client machine.  It wouldn't mean anything if it was
accessable, because it would be the same as anyone else dialed into that
server.

There is no such thing as a MAC address in a machine unless it has an
Ethernet card in it.  Modems don't have them, never have.

Tim