[OLUG] Program idea.

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Tue Jan 4 17:04:53 UTC 2000

>> Oh, okay, I see now, but geez, no need to be a jerk about it!
>
>Sorry about that.

Apology accepted.  :-)

>That's why I mentioned submitting some routing information and a
>username.  I testified in a legal case once and all the evidence was
>disregarded because none of the log files submitted included the MAC
>address.  That's what I testified to.  It's only way to positivly
>identify a computer on a network.  It may be the same situation trying
>to get a search warrant.

Okay - now, I'm not poo-pooing your idea, I already said it was good, but
now I'd like to work out details...

Where does the username come from?  For that matter, are we talking about
Linux boxen or Windows crap now?  I'm confused.  If it's a Winblows machine,
I suppose there may be a registry entry that can get you a username, but I
don't know about it on Linux...  It could be stored in any of several places
and passed to the pppd on the command line, or could be in /etc/ppp/options.

As for the routing information - what, the address of the remote peer?  Or
do you mean doing a traceroute-type-thing to the report-in site and sending
that along as well?

As for the MAC address, that's nice, as long as there's an internal ethernet
interface.  If there's a PCMCIA interface, it would have to be in.  I would
think that a unique serial number of some kind, or a packet of information
entered at install-time, like real name and address, etc, would be
sufficient.

>Regarding the intelligence of theives:  The last two computers stolen
>from CSM were a 486/33 and a P133.  These were taken from the same rooms
>that PII-500 sytems w/19" monitors were located.  Apparently they know
>little about computers, but I believe anyone can set-up a compuserve
>account from a CD.  My mother did even!

Wooga.  Okay, you have a point there, then.