[OLUG] NIC Purgatory

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Wed Feb 23 01:54:22 UTC 2000

> I have 2 network cards that are SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 PCI cards.
> From what I have read off the net they are NE2000 clones.

Actually, they're not.  To my knowledge there are no 10/100 NE2000 cards.
All the NE2000s I've seen are all 10Mbit only.

> When I install RedHat 6.1, the card at eth0 is recognized and
> initiallized OK. Here are the lines from dmesg:
>
> rtl8139.c:v1.07 5/6/99 Donald Becker
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html
> eth0: SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xa400, IRQ 5,
> 00:e0:29:46:fa:c2.
>
> When I rebuild the kernel, eth0 fails to initialize.

What driver are you using for eth0?  ne?  ne2k-pci?  rtl8139?
(incidentally, rtl8139 is what you should be using)

> I've tried many times the last I tried to use many of the driver
> options offered in the Config file.  Luckily the installation kernel
> comes with a smp kernel and a non-smp kernel. As a note for the
> curious, it takes almost 6 minutes to compile a kernel using both
> processors and it takes almost 12 minutes to compile a kernel using
> only one processor.
>
> I suspect I'll need to specify:
>
> 0xa400, IRQ 5, 00:e0:29:46:fa:c2
>
> in lilo.conf so the kernel gets the specs on my network cards. I have
> no idea where or how to do that.

There is no need to do that with PCI cards.  The kernel gets those specs
direct from either a) the PCI bus or b) from the card itself.

> Also I have the other card at eth1 so what would I need in lilo.conf
> so that card gets initialized as well.

Nope see 5-7 lines above.

> Also when RedHat 6.1 is installed, I suspect much of the IP
> functionality is by default not selected including ip_masquerading and
> ip_chains. Is this correct?

Don't know.  You can find out by running 'ipchains -L' as root while
running the stock RedHat kernel.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein