[OLUG] /dev/modem lock

mesc mesc at shell.radiks.net
Thu Feb 17 18:57:29 UTC 2000

I'm running RedHat 5.1 with a 2.0.36 kernel.
After hearing from Dave Burchell I checked /var/log/messages and I found line after  line of /dev/modem locked by pid (then various process #s,not  any one certain process) after  seeing that I entered ps at the prompt and found no processes running with the stated #'s.
    I also ran ifconfig  and found only the loopback interface,not the ppp interface too
    I then ran dmeg | less and found  TCP/IP for NetTalk 3.043 but not in my ip protocols,is this normal?

            Thank you again,Gary Martin