[OLUG] HardDrive Data Recovery

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Tue Feb 15 04:44:05 UTC 2000

Matt Payne wrote:

> A friend of mine's laptop harddrive went bad.  He'd like to recover data
> from it.  Are there any companies in town that do this?  Thanks for any
> pointers! -Matt Payne

I don't know of anyone locally, but I've dealt with The Data Recovery
Group on two occasions and have been very satasfied with them.  They
charge $100 to look at it and then charge a variable rate to perform the
recovery based on the time involved.  I doubt the total would be over
$200 though.  Just remember to avoid doing ANYTHING to the drive if this
is the course you need to take.  Many recovery utilities available for
typical users are a one-shot deal and may make their job very difficult,
if not impossible.  They had to lecture me about that once, luckily they
were still successful since the data I needed was on a different
partition than the one I destroyed.  Here's a link to their site:

http://www.datarecoverygroup.com/