[olug] Re: debian

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Wed Dec 20 04:24:59 UTC 2000

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 08:28:03PM -0600, Nathan Brown wrote:
> Nathan Brown wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry i just cannot make tuesday nights.  I wold love to go to the
> > meetings at another time such as fri or even sat afternoons but am not
> > able other times ...
> >
> > I have a problem with debian.  I have finally gotten the
> > system-to-get-the-system installed .
> > to get this far i had to fool it ..  I had to combine the install from
> > harddrive and the install from cdrom.  the cd rom install would not
> > install the kernel and the modules and the hard drive install would not
> > install my network card (smc-ultra). So I booted the install from the
> > DOS drive and when I needed to install the kernel and modules I directed
> > it to the cdrom and it went clear to the reboot.
> > however when I got to the apt window it would not take the software off
> > of the cdrom (which is a cd burned by a friend) It would connect to
> > debian ftp site but it was not configured to take all of it as it's
> > source from there so it needed to look into the cdrom .  It read the
> > cdrom giving it's name and everything but would not actually recognize
> > it as a debian cd .  So being very unfamiliar with apt I failed ...

	I had the same thing happen on one of my boxes.  I don't know
	how fast your network connection is but it is easier in my
	opinion to just configure apt to install stuff off the net,
	especially when you want to snag security fixes.  Anyway you can
	set apt to install off of either one by editing
	/etc/apt/sources.list
	If you want to install off the net just uncomment the lines in
	said file.  If you want to use the cdrom use "apt-cdrom" take a
	look at the manpage, I've never used it.  At any rate one you
	decide where your going to snag your stuff just -
	apt-get update
	apt-get upgrade

	That should finish off installing the packages you requested.
	At least it did for me.

> > NOW I have rebooted again and cannot get the network up cannot ping
> > anything cannot connect .
> > no eth0 in dmesg nothing ..... It will not load linuxconf so I don't
> > know now how to configure the eht0 or my card ...
> > any suggestions???
> > thanks
> > nate

	I'm a little hazy as to why linuxconf won't load for you.  If it
	isn't installed -
	apt-get install linuxconf
	should do that for you.

	As far as the networking goes did you configure the network
	during the install?  If so what network card are you using and
	what driver did you choose.  If your card isn't being detected
	on boot then more than likely you don't have a card that is
	supported or you don't have the module installed.  Once your
	card is detected you can worry about the rest of it.

	I don't know what version of debian your running but Slink is
	contained on two cd's and Potato 3.  I've had trouble with
	versions that come on a single cd and packaged with a book.
	You might find out what the source the burn came from.
	hth,
	kent

--
  "In order to make an apple pie from scratch,
      you must first create the universe."