[olug] Kernel Compilation

Vincent Raffensberger vraffensberger at home.com
Sat Dec 30 21:00:53 UTC 2000

No, on a dual processor machine 4 should be best.  This just specifies
the number of gcc lines to process simultaneously.  I believe make waits
for each one to complete before starting a new one.  When that is
happening, idle cpu cycles are wasted waiting on disk access before
starting the new line. <-???  Since we're referring to a real
multi-tasking OS, this setting should help both single and smp systems,
but I would raise it even higher with more than two processors.

(from the make man page)

-j jobs
            Specifies  the  number  of jobs (commands) to run
simultaneously.  If there is
            more than one -j option, the last one is effective.  If the
-j option is given
            without  an  argument,  make  will  not  limit the number of
jobs that can run
            simultaneously.

Here's an experiment for you:  time one this way and then add another
alias like this:

alias gcc='gcc -03'

and time that one.  That's a good P6 optimization.  There are a few
others, but I think that one is the biggest.

Have you tried to optimize your disks with hdparm yet?  If you want to
start tweaking things for performance, there are a lot of things you can
do.  Many are simple changes to files in /proc and don't really require
a kernel re-compile.