[olug] Debian Install

Daniel Pfile pfiled at marietta.edu
Fri Dec 22 07:52:30 UTC 2000

I personally am a firm believer in the debian advanced install. Before you
call me a geek, let me explain.

When you install debian, you install a base system, a few meg of things to
get your system up, including a kernel, editor, shutils, etc, etc. After
that, all dselect does, is fire up a preselected list of packages if you
choose simple install. It also installs lots of things I don't want, so I
end up de-selecting things, and dealing with conflicts anyway. With
advanced install, I just hit + next to windowmaker, and I get told to
install X11, and this, and that, etc, etc, etc. I now have a working X
system. When you install, a setup runs (dpkg is now configuring packages).
It's the same thing you get when you run a basic install. Debian is HIGHLY
modularized. debs and sh/perl scripts are everything. The guy writing the
debian installer has no idea what the best way to configure X11 for TT
font support with windowmaker is. The packagers of those apps do, and they
write the setup scripts. You're not in Bob Young land anymore here,
welcome to the land of Bruce Perens.

I find using advanced lets me have a much cleaner system, that I'm more
aware of what's in it. YMMV tho...

Disclaimer 1) I'm a budding debian developer, I've packaged stuff, and
repackaged complex packages for my ppc system. I may be biased.

Disclaimer 2) Don't try this with debian unstable. Conflicts abound in
that branch. They're probobly not your fault. When you think you know enough
about debian to try unstable, give it a shot, it feels good to be on the
bleeding edge.

| Daniel Pfile        | I'm too cool for a signature |
| pfiled at marietta.edu |                              |