[olug] Re: Adaptec 1542

dbw commando at robotz.com
Wed Dec 20 18:31:26 UTC 2000

I know that a manufacturer doesn't always include Linux on the list of
supported operating systems for their hardware. This most likely has to do
with the fact that they simply do not wish to deal with support of that OS
for that particular piece of hardware; even though some Linux guru figured
out a way to get it to work with another driver or a driver exists
specifically for that piece of hardware.

When looking for a SCSI card I also referenced the Linux Hardware
Compatibility HOWTO on the LDP.  At the time I made my purchasing decision
the 2930 was not listed as a supported SCSI Controller.  However, they
have added it to the list since then because I see it now.  I am pleased
to see more devices being supported by my favorite operating system each
time I revisit the list.

> Actually, *every* *single* ethernet card currently sold by Best Buy will
> work with Linux.

I doubt that, Best Buy carries some really crap NIC's as well as a few
decent ones.

I will still contend that Best Buy carries a lot of hardware that is not
Linux friendly.  I know that every single NIC that they carry isn't Linux
friendly.  But hey, if you want to spend more money and get second-rate
stuff, then Best Buy is your Best Bet!

There are much better places to make your computer purchases than Best
Buy.  I went to DIT Computers, which is in Omaha and Lincoln
(www.ditcorp.com) and got my 60gig hard drive for $60.00 LESS than the
same drive at Best Buy.  Not that Best Buy isn't a good place to buy other
things such as CD music or appliances; it is just not a good place to
purchase anything PC related.

>> So I am curious to know if you are using the 2930 under linux
>> and if so, where did you find the driver?

>Umm... the aic7xxx driver?

Phil, you phrased that in the form of a question.  Am I to take it that
you are unsure about the driver?

Quite honestly, I was pleased to learn that the 2930 works with Linux,
because it is a very well priced card and as Jason mentioned, offers the
SCSI bios, which the 2920 does not.  I appreciate Jason's post as I am
always looking for good SCSI controllers for my business machines and for
my customers.

Do you "Jason" know which driver specifically?  BTW: How many people
showed up for the OLUG meeting last night?  Traffic was moving quite
slowly here in Lincoln so I decided not to attempt driving to Omaha,
although I would have enjoyed the Pizza.

Thanks,

-dbw

--