[olug] Debian Install

Nathan Brown tbrownarcher at home.com
Wed Dec 20 08:40:41 UTC 2000

Mike McNally wrote:

> On Sat 16 Dec 2000, Nathan Brown wrote:
>
> > > Nathan Brown wrote:
> >
> > Yes I did ..  But I don't remember if it took (succeeded ) or not .  I
> > remember thinking it did.  But on the sucsessive tries it does not succeed in
> > installing the module.  So I'm without network support
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, seems like I remember one of our linux gurus mentioning that
> smc cards like this one can be problematic.  It sounds like this is confirmation
> that he was right.  If a redhat install will work without choking you could go
> to that, or you could scour the net for a debian smc-whatever expert that found
> or wrote a patch to make it work, but the simple solution is to consider this a
> windows only ethernet card.  That's my take anyway.  I'm using a cheap best buy
> card that uses the tulip driver.  It's a dlink or linksys or something like that.

this card works perfectly with Red Hat 7 , and SUSE 6.4.   It worked on the end of the
Install.  When I rebooted it did not load anything including eth0.  Very strange!

> Maybe you can pick one up after xmas on sale for 30-35bucks.  I don't buy much
> hardware, so that's a very rough guess.  Don't give up.  Debian is great.  Say,
> has anyone told you about how to handle the install?  Debian is a little different,
> and I have an idea as to how to handle it, but all this means nothing, if your
> hardware won't work........... write me when you get a debian friendly card and
> I'll tell you my perspective.  Drinking some xmas scotch tonight so I'm not up
> to the description now.  bye.
>
> --
>
> Mike McNally            mmcnally3 at prodigy.net

I have a 3com card too.  It does not work with windows for some reason or i have not
figgered how to make it work.  If i put it in this machine i will have to have 2 of
them in here ... it and the smc one ...... will there be any conflict?

Thanks

Nate