[olug] Re: Adaptec 1542

dbw commando at robotz.com
Tue Dec 19 22:25:51 UTC 2000

I have used my Phillips external CDR on an ISA SCSI card
for several years without a problem.  In fact, the reliability
is excellent and compared to my new Plextor on a 2920 that is a
lot better.  The Plextor on a PCI SCSI card has actually locked
up my box on a couple occasious which never happened to me with
the Phillips CDR on the ISA SCSI card.  (both Adaptec)

I read somewhere that my particular Adaptec ISA SCSI card would
support CDR record speeds up to 8x.

Question:  You mentioned using the Adaptec 2930 (which is the
card they sell at Best Buy).  That card only supports the
following operating systems:

Operating Systems: (from Adaptec web site)
Windows NT., Windows. 95/98, Windows. 3.1, DOS

That is why I am disgusted with best buy.  They sell a few
linux distro's yet they carry heaps of hardware that only
works with MS winblowze, like this SCSI card, their cheap winmodems
and many of their NIC's.  (i dont buy anything there anymore)

see adaptec url:

http://www.adaptec.com/products/datasheets/specs/retailaha2930.html

So I am curious to know if you are using the 2930 under linux
and if so, where did you find the driver?  How did you configure
it and get it to work with your CDR, under linux?

The 2940 is more expensive, so I went with the 2920 which is
supported by linux and works quite well for a PCI SCSI card.
Although my old ISA SCSI card with the Phillips CDR still
seems to be the most reliable one.

-dbw

--