[olug] .mpeg files

Ted Milker tmilker at radiks.net
Tue Aug 29 17:41:51 UTC 2000

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 11:37:26AM -0500, mesc wrote:
> I'm trying to find a program to open an mpeg file with that will show
> the individual frames so then I can retouch whatever frames I wish.Does
> anyone in the list know of such a program in mandrake 7.0 and if not can
> anyone think of a program I can download that will do the job?

MPEG is not a frame based video format.  MPEG basically keeps
track of the changes in the pictures in between frames, not the
whole frame.  That's why it compresses so well.  There's probably
software for Windows to allow you to generate whole frames and then
edit those frames and then make a new mpeg out of those frames.
Linux is pretty weak on the video editing tools at this time.
You might want to try looking at this site,
http://heroine.linuxave.net/toys.html
it might have something useful, but be aware, I don't know how
up to date his programs are.  Last time I tried his mpeg player,
it didn't compile very easily, or work very well.

Ted