[olug] getting to emacs

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Mon Aug 21 13:01:00 UTC 2000

Since you can't exec emacs from the command line, it isn't in your
path.  First, check to make sure that there are reasonable directories
in your path by looking at the output from

echo $PATH

$PATH should contain at least /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /bin, and
/usr/X11R6/bin.  As root, your path should also contain /usr/sbin and
/sbin.  You can manually add directories to your path by typing lines
such as

export PATH=$PATH:1st_dir_to_add:2nd_dir_to_add:... (if you're using
bash)

setenv PATH $PATH:1st_dir_to_add:2nd_dir_to_add:... (if you're using a
form of csh)

Each window will have its own path so eventually you'll need to fix the
configuration files read at start-up if there is a problem with your
path.

There are several ways to determine where the emacs executable is
located on your system.  Since you said that the rpm is installed, you
could look for the emacs binary installed by the emacs rpm archive by
typing

rpm -ql emacs | less

Look for a file named emacs in one of the directories I mentioned should
be in your path.  Another brute-force method would be to type

find / -name emacs

This command will cause your computer to look for a file named "emacs"
in all directories (that the user you are logged in as has access to) on
your computer.

It's possible that emacs is actually xemacs or some other variant on
your system.  To get an idea of which versions of emacs are installed,
type

rpm -qa | grep -i emacs | less

Once you know which emacs packages are installed, you can query those
packages using rpm -ql as I described for the package "emacs" above.

Good luck,

Mark

Sam Deel wrote:

> I have a system with redhat6.0 (i think) I have not done much with it,
> other than do a couple of installs.  The last install was like cheating
> (I did a server install).  Anyway, I am sure I have emacs installed
> (checked RPM), but I can't find it.  I don't see it as root or as sdeel
> in the GUI and either user gets not found error when I try to exec from
> command line.  It's probably in the GUI somewhere, but I dot see it.
> I'm wanting to learn emacs (reading an old copy of o'reilly learning GNU
> emacs). I need the editor to play with it.
>
> --sad

Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington