[olug] linux defection

Oliver Banta obanta at cse.unl.edu
Sun Aug 13 05:36:26 UTC 2000

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:13:37AM -0500, puzzled wrote:
>        Are Chris and I the only ones who have defected to BSD derivatives?

   I've been using {Free|Open}BSD for several years.  I also happen to
administer BSD boxes for a living, if you want to call it that.  :)
There was a reason the Lincoln LUG stood for Lincoln Unix Group, and
not some Linux based name.

   I plan on going to BSDCon this October and attend the McKusick
Internals tutorial, so if there is interest -- I could probably give
a talk in LNK afterwards about the conference.  By then I should
have access to a nice training room in downtown LNK with computers
and nice connectivity.

>      I don't think there is enough activity in Omaha to justify a separate
> *BSD users group ... I'd like to propose that OLUG expand its charter to
> cover any *nix ...

   I'd agree.  In LNK we just always got together after work for
pizza/beer and talked about various projects we're working on/interested
in.  Hopefully after "my" new office is done downtown, we can start having
tutorials as well.  Most topics (sendmail, ldap, apache, etc) are
not too OS specific so you might as well just give a talk or two
at OLUG on why they should switch to BSD. :)

Cheers,
--
Oliver Banta

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it."
                -- Donald Knuth