[olug] Getting LILO back

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Mon Aug 7 23:35:07 UTC 2000

Daniel,

I want to thank you for the inspiration and the step-by step
instructions. I've been limping along with loadlin and boot
floppies...now, using GRUB, I can finally dual-boot from my hard drive
w/o lilo griping about my cylinder boundaries.

I remember you mentioned it before, and I downloaded it and messed with
it, but became very inimidated and confused by the documentation and how
to use it, coming from a lilo background. Finally it made sense, and now
it works and I have a nifty bootloader menu, i don't even have to type
in the silly "linux" or "win" like one must with lilo.

thanks,

Chad.

P.S. Jay Woods, if you are still having problems, we can probably get
you going. I'd be willing to help with some step-by-step stuff now that
i've figured grub out for my machine.

Daniel Pfile wrote:

> Did you get my email about grub? I'm not kidding, it's really easy
> compared to lilo, and better.
>
> Here's how to do it
>
> 1: Create a grub boot floppy according to the manual from within windows
> 2: Figure out what disk and partition linux is on, ide and scsi are not
> distinguised, it goes by what the bios sees, i'll use the second disk,
> first partition for the example (1,0). Then figure out which device
> LINUX thinks the root / partition is on, i'll use /dev/sda1 for my example.
> 3: Figure out where your kernel is, i'll use /vmlinuz for an example,
> you may have one in /boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17, and so on, grub
> supports command line completion, so just start typing at the grub
> prompt and hit tab to fill in the names of files.
> 4: Stick the floppy in, reboot computer
> 5: At grub> prompt, type: 'grub> kernel hd(1,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1'
> 6: add any other kernel options you want (in addition to root=/dev/sda1)
> by putting a space and the option for example: 'grub> hd(1,0)/vmlinuz
> root=/dev/sda1 mem=256M single'
> 7: hit enter
> 8: if it finds the kernel, it will respond with a message saying so.
> 9: type 'grub> boot'
> 10: watch linux boot
>
> check out the grub manual, web page, faq for more information on how to
> put grub on your hard disk it's self, make a cool looken menu, make it
> load 98, nt, w2k, fbsd, etc, etc, etc.
>
> - Daniel
>
> Jay Woods wrote:
> >
> > I want to thank everybody for their help. Unfortunately nothing is working out. I have
> > been able to boot up with tomsrtbt - 1.7.101 and my stuff is still there. However:
> >
> >     I haven't been able to boot up from the CD-ROM (for example, Linux Mandrake v7.02).
> >     I can boot up on the emergency boot disk with the command at LILO of linux
> > root=/dev/hdb6 BUT it always tries to boot to hda6 which isn't there.
> >     I have been able to set up a new lilo.conf file that has hdb6 instead of hda6 BUT
> > when I run lilo at the root command line, it refuses to write to the MBR saying
> > something about it isn't marked for it.
> >
> > I'm ready to pay for somebody to come and fix it. ---Jay

* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Smithers, release the robotic Richard Simmons!" --C.M. Burns