[olug] laptop dvd roms?

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Sat Aug 5 12:14:27 UTC 2000

I've had a fair amount of experience with Gateway (although not too
recently) and with laptops and I'd like to echo what John and Adam
said.  First, Gateway tends to use hardware that has subtle and annoying
proprietary features.  Second, unless you really know what you're doing,
you're usually best off buying new hardware for a laptop from the
manufacturer.  Otherwise, it's very difficult for us mere mortals to
match a component we want to purchase to our hardware/firmware
configurations.
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington