[olug] Getting LILO back

Daniel Pfile pfiled at marietta.edu
Wed Aug 2 05:16:49 UTC 2000

I've been using grub since january, it's great, it's awsome, it's better
than sliced bread (even the nice thick kind with lots of butter).

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

you can even install it on to say a floppy from windows, boot from that
disk and fire up linux, install it to a boot sector, first sector of a
disk, anything lilo can do and more! yes folks it's that easy.

for example, before i put it on my mbr this is how i booted linux from a
floppy after putting grub on it from windows (lilo hated my scsi card with
a passion) oh yah, this is a command line interface, it's slick, my
comments for this email are in front of #s

# tell grub where the kernel is:
# works like:
# > kernel (hd-disk number-,-part number-)kernel-file kernel-args
# so for my system it boots off the second disk the bios knows about,
# first partition, /vmlinuz on that file system with the args of
# root=/dev/sda1. I could easily have passed an arg of say single for
# maintence, or whatever else (insert favorite kernel arg/enable weird new
# feature you made up last night after 10 beers here)

> kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1

  [kernel bzimage found at 0x2352]   # I paraphrased that :)

> boot

Linux booting.....

#####

that's it, all done, linux is up in a few seconds.

i wub it, let me know if any of you try it, i have _no_ idea why lilo is
still used when grub exists. loved the recent /. pool on the number of
kernels in lilo btw.. i can boot N+1 kernels without problems with grub
:)

| Daniel Pfile        | I'm to cool for a signature |
| pfiled at marietta.edu | --------------------------- |