[OLUG] Kernel panic

mesc mescie at home.com
Thu Apr 20 17:48:59 UTC 2000

After I finally figured out mkisofs I walked away from my machine for 2
hrs and came back and rebooted only to see this bootup message :(
    error writing /etc/mtab.tmp:No space left on device
    /dev/hda5 is mounted...then a few lines later it said this.
give root password for maintenance....which I did,and all I was able to
do given my knowledge of linux was cat /etc/mtab to view that file which
read
    /dev/hda5 / ext2 rw 0 0
    none /proc proc rw 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /boot ext 0 0.....(I also had /home and /usr partitions
but they didn't show up in mtab only in fstab)
    To make a long story short I got sick of trying to fix this and
reinstalled linux,but now on bootup I get this message>Warning:unable to
open initial console
                                                     Kernel panic:No
init found.Try passing init= option to kernel.
    When I try using my boot disk I don't get a boot prompt to pass the
init=3 option to the kernel I get the lilo prompt.Is there any other way
to fix this?

                    Thank you,Gary Martin.