[OLUG] dd

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Tue Apr 18 17:03:39 UTC 2000

yes, an iso image is prolly better than dd here. dd will read all of the
partition in a raw manner. it doesn't just stop when it "sees" that it's
copying "free space" on the partition. it doesn't know anything about
"free space"; because it is not reading /dev/hda1 as a filesystem,
rather it is just reading bit-for-bit what is on the drive partition and
puking the output to a file in another filesystem.

the mkisofs program will pay attention to free space, though. but you
should read the man page and make sure that you don't have any odd
filenames that won't get copied. shouldn't be a problem.

brian at bstc.net wrote:

> just make it an iso file image.... `man mkisofs`
>
> that way, you can just write it to a cd instead of your hd.

* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus