[OLUG] Promiscuous eth0

Mark Lichtenberg mark.lichtenberg at home.com
Sun Apr 16 06:14:55 UTC 2000

No DHCP, no vmware, no sniffers, except tcpdump(which I wasn't running
when these log entries were produced). I just switched from dial-up to a
cable modem, and there are similar entries in my syslogs from before I
switched. So from that, I figure that I haven't been compromised.

This problem might be a result of my bigger problem. I have one rh6.1
machine working with ipchains masquerading to my other rh box. The box
behind the firewall often loses contact with the outside world, but can
still connect to the firewall. (I checked, and masquerading seemed to be
working properly.) This happens randomly, and comes back randomly. Funny
thing is, when it loses connection, tcpdump will not pickup any packets,
even while sucessfully pinging the firewall. When connection comes back,
tcpdump will catch any packet just like it should.

I'm starting to think that I've got a flaky network card. It's a 3c905b.
Any thoughts?

Mark Lichtenberg