[OLUG] problems with passwd

John P McDaniel jpmcdaniel at home.com
Sat Apr 15 02:09:11 UTC 2000

I am using shadow, although the passwd version I use does not
recognize the -S command.  I have reinstalled the following packages:
libpam-devel-0.66-3, libpam-0.66-3, pam-apps-0.55-6, misc-shadow.

I am using Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 with a few updates.

Here is a little more info; in an xterm session:

[jpm] ~$ passwd
passwd: cannot retrieve user's name
[jpm] ~$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

Welcome!

login: jpm
Password:
You have old mail in /var/spool/mail/jpm
Last login: Fri Apr 14 20:20:41 2000 from localhost on ttyp0

Welcome!

[jpm] ~$ passwd
Changing password for jpm
(current) UNIX password:
[jpm] ~$

So, it seems that after telnet'ing, everything works fine.  I have
compared environment variables between the two sessions and they seem
identical (only a few new ones having to do with the display).

I am truly baffled by this.  Any other ideas, folks?

- John