[OLUG] resolv.conf

W. Mark Hagler hagler at th.in.gs
Fri Apr 14 02:35:42 UTC 2000

The DHCP server (dhcpd) never overwrites resolv.conf.  It just answers
DHCP requests with the information you configure in dhcpd.conf.

The DHCP client daemon can overwrite resolv.conf with the information it
receives from the DHCP server... and this sounds like you've got a DHCP
client daemon running on the machine.

RedHat uses a DHCP client called 'pump' for its networking scripts when
you tell it to use DHCP, or you may have the DHCP client from the ISC
package running, called 'dhcpcd'.    Just make sure neither one of these
daemons is running.

Adam Lassek wrote:

> dhcpd
>
> Phil Brutsche wrote:
> >
> > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
> >
> > > I set up one of my machines as a dhcp server and it's working fine, but
> > > it keeps overwriting my resolv.conf file. I'm not going to have this
> > > server on my network for very long, and I access the net through my
> > > box... so what do I need to do to keep it from messing with resolv.conf?
> >
> > Which dhcp client are you using?
> >
> > --

  Email is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some
  settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.