[OLUG] Red Hat Breaks With Linus Torvalds Roadmap <MaximumPc>

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Wed Nov 17 19:20:14 UTC 1999

> Linux supports all sorts of fs's, not just ext2. I don't see this as
> breaking from any kind of roadmap...
> besides, I'd much rather use SGI's XFS. Anybody know where to get it?

You don't.  XFS under Linux is largely vaporware - there's been a partial
source release of the platform-independent code (not enough be to be able
to get a file system working with), but the rest of it is still under a
'cleaning' process to remove as much IP (intellectual property) as they
can.  And only God knows when that will be done.

You're better bet is to try one of the experimental versions of ext3
(check the linux-kernel archives as to where to get that) or play with
ReiserFS.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein