[OLUG] Can't mount /home/kent and /usr.

tetherow at nol.org tetherow at nol.org
Sun Dec 19 05:47:34 UTC 1999

On 16 Dec, ktb wrote:
> Well is followed your directions and still can't see /kent in /home.
> Here is how my disk is partitioned out:
>
> Redhat
> hdb1 /
> hdb5 /usr
> hdb6 /home
> hdb7 /usr/local
> hdb8 /var
> hdb9 swap
>
> Slink
> hdb3  /
> hdb13 /usr
> hdb12 /usr/local
> hdb11 /home
> hdb10 /var
>
> This is what my /etc/fstab file looks like on my Debian side:
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> <pas
> /dev/hdb3       /             ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
> /dev/hdb9       none          swap   sw                         0      0
> proc            /proc         proc   defaults                   0      0
> /dev/hdb13 /usr ext2 defaults 0 2
> /dev/hdb12 /usr/local ext2 defaults 0 2
> /dev/hdb11 /home ext2 defaults 0 2
> /dev/hdb10 /var ext2 defaults 0 2
> /dev/hdd /cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro,users 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /floppy ext2 noauto,ro,users 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /floppy/vfat vfat noauto,ro,users 0 0
>
> /dev/hdb1       /mnt/rh     ext2   noauto,rw,nouser 0 0
>
> /dev/hdb6       /mnt/rh/home/     ext2   noauto,rw,nouser 0 0
>

> I don't know if that will shed any light or not.  I haven't been through
> every spec of the directory tree once I mount the Redhat side but mostly
> I can see everything but /local in /usr and /kent in /home, i.e. I can
> see /usr and /home but inside there is no /local or /kent.
> Thanks,
> kent

You won't be able to see anything in /mnt/rh/usr because it is a
seperate partition.  You should be able to see everything in
/mnt/rh/etc for instance though.

To get RedHat's /usr directory (except for local) you need to add:
/dev/hdb5 /mnt/rh/usr noauto,rw,nouser 0 0

To add RedHat's /usr/local add:
/dev/hdb7 /mnt/rh/usr/local noauto,rw,nouser 0 0

The home mount looks good though.  I don't believe RedHat uses autohome
but check to make sure that /home/kent really is on /dev/hdb6 (while
running RedHat 'df /home/kent'.

Sam Tetherow                           tetherow at nol.org
Director of Development
Nebrask@ Online                        http://www.nol.org/