[OLUG] fsckin' netscape must die

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 18:08:46 UTC 1999

I use netscap all the time too with yahoo mail which
uses a lot of java things and it crashes 1-2 times a
week.  It just locks up and top says that netscape
--library is using 100% of the CPU and it won't close
without a kill -9.  Sometimes it willdo this and come
out of it 30 seconds later sometimes it won't come out
after 10 minutes.  Don't know, I'm just glad I'm not
in Windows.

--- Drazak <drazak at moongate.net> wrote:
> Something is funny with your libs.  I have a pretty
> stock RedHat 6.1
> setup, with the latest glibc netscape rpms, and It
> rarely crashes (1-2
> times a week, in pretty heavy browsing).  I view
> pages with plenty of
> javascript and java applets regularly.
>
> _Drew
>
> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Phil Brutsche wrote:
>
> > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone
> said...
> >

> > > so you're saying that crudscape relies on poorly
> > > maintained/undocumented/nonexistent functions in
> glibc2.1?
> >
> > Actually, it does nothing of the sort.  It
> wouldn't run if it did.
> >
> > > don't tease us like that phil, fork advanced
> debugging tekneek :-)
> >
> > Um... I don't have one.  I've been following
> discussion of the debian
> > mailing lists where people have noted this (the
> same version of netscape
> > linked against differing versions of libc have
> differing levels of
> > stability).
> >
> > > will you be giving a talk on strace at the next
> meeting?
> >
> > Not planning on it...
> >
> > --

> > Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu
> >
> > "There are two things that are infinite; Human
> stupidity and the
> > universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." -
> Albert Einstein

=====
Eric Penne
epenne at ieee.org