[OLUG] Sound

John Kennedy jkennedy at orent.com
Wed Dec 8 16:01:51 UTC 1999

Nathan,
That, I believe, is a bug in RH 6.0.  I had the same thing and could
never get a fix for it (granted, I didn't spend much time looking).  I
now have 6.1 and have no problem with the sound card...
John

Nathan Brown wrote:

> I have a Hi-Wave sound card  .  It uses a Yamaha driver YMF-724.  It is
> PnP in Ms Windows 98. and it works in Windows.
> When I boot linux The only sound I have is the keyboard sound if I make
> an undoable stroke on the keyboard.
> This sound card is SUPPOSED to be compatible with SB16.
> When I use sndconfig at the end of the process it tries a test sound I
> get the message that there is something busy and so it cannot give me a
> test sound.
> When I go into /etc/conf.modules to edit there are several lines that
> should be there but there are also 2 lines concerning pcmcia.  Should
> those lines be there with my PC.  I don't have a laptop.
>
> Thanks
> Nate

I sense much NT in you.  NT leads to bluescreen, bluescreen leads to
downtime,
downtime leads to suffering.  NT is the path to the darkside.  Powerful
UNIX
is.
 - Jedi SysAdmin

What if Bill Gates got a penny each time a Windows computer crashed?
Oh, wait...he already does!

If you need to point-and-click to administer a machine,
you have no business administering a machine.