[OLUG] Secure connect for mail

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Sun Dec 5 21:00:01 UTC 1999

> Is there a way (I'm sure there is, I just don't know it), to connect
> securely to a mail server?  Using SSH for remote connections seems a
> must, and I do that, but what about requests made by mail clients to
> mail servers?  Those usernames/passwords go over in plain text, what's
> the point of using SSH when my mail-requests go over in plain-text?

Convince your ISP to use KPOP (POP3 that uses Kerberos for
authentication).  If that's not an option, then perhaps this is even less
than an option :):

sam - your computer
joe - a server hosted by your ISP

Run a SSH server on whatever port POP3 sits on (I think 110) on sam that
forwards the connection (encrypted, of course) to a SSH server on some
port on joe, which then forwards to the real POP3 server.

There's also FreeSWan (or something like that).

Basically, you need your ISP to cooperate with you on this.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein