[olug-colo] Security services

Aric Aasgaard aric at omahax.com
Fri Jun 5 21:48:54 EDT 2009

I am not a paranoid security geek but I've used hostgator.com for several
years and love it.
I have about 20 sites hosted on one shared account.
It's $12.95 a month for unlimited everything.
They offer a selection of 3 different webmail clients one of which is horde.
They have:
IMAP
SSH
Private SSL
Dedicated static IP
Anonymous FTP

They say they don't offer WebDAV because people abuse it; However, I have
it.  It might not have all the geeky features possible.  They call it
"webfolders" in the cpanel.
I am using "webfolders" for publishing/sharing icalendars from sunbird and
outlook 2007.
They offer ruby on rails and python(no zope)
You can customize your php.ini
You can install pear modules.

I have cURL scraping cron jobs.
I even used a perl cgi script that lets me broadcast live TV/Radio stations.
It works well but they have been good to me and I don't want to be "that
guy".

They have excellent support staff.  Last time I called them was over a year
ago to ask if I could get them to give me the ability to use cURL from a
bash shell.  He said "Yes, hold on" I heard some fast pattering on a
keyboard and he said "done, is there anything else I can help you with?"

If you need more than that I would rent a dedicated server from
theplanet.com
https://www.theplanet.com/servers/
If you talk to a rep you can get a better deal than what is listed.  They
doubled my ram and upped my monthly bandwidth to 5TB for free.  You can get
a quad core Xeon for under $200 a month.

My thought are that if you are hosting more than hostgator can handle you
should be charging your clients enough to justify a dedicated box at
theplanet.  My hostgator account's server is in theplanet's datacenter.

If you want windows hosting I would recommend powerdnn.com.  I was at their
offices today and they seem to have a top notch operation.

-Aric