[olug-colo] Join olug.sf.net <SF username>

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 06:39:03 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 04 April 2009 08:28:44 pm Aric wrote:
> > I isn't dead but IMO it is better to host your own project unless it is
> > intended for mass consumption and you can't figure out how to capitalize
> on
> > the traffic yourself.
>
> SourceForge's website quite frankly sucks compared what it was 10 years
> ago.
> Launchpad works fine for modern projects.
>
> > I would think the only benefit would be to have subversion as this is not
> > typical feature of cheap shared host.
>
> Uh... if we're setting up a colo, I don't think we need to be worrying
> about
> cheap shared hosts not providing Subversion? :p

Yes, sf has ruined their UI.   But they are very reliable and offer a ton of
features - look at all the hosted apps options.  Dead?  SF actually has
money in the bank and a decent price to earnings ratio (last fal, but maybe
they were hit by Madoff since).  i would not be surprised if they are more
profitable than many glamorous names.  SF recently posted another job
posting for sysadmins to work from home.