[olug-colo] some ideas and questions

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Apr 3 19:49:59 EDT 2009

The only person who's been on this list longer than me is Brian R ;)

First, I suspect that the point where they measure bandwidth for billing
would be the ethernet port our router connects to, making the whole
question moot.

My concern with this idea would introducing asymmetric routing.

If Pinpoint measured bandwidth at their peering points (as opposed to
the point where our router connects to their network), and if you get
the pipes setup somehow, and you get Cox & Qwest to announce the routes
via some routing protocol, the only packets that would travel that route
would be those generated by us. Any packets coming to us from Cox or
Qwest would get to us through our Pinpoint connection.

To avoid that we would need proper BGP peering, and I don't envision us
being that big anytime soon if ever.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us